Indian food again! This time, I did a new version of an old recipe that I had shared with you previously: the potato curry with chickpeas.
While the original recipe called for curry powder, I decided to experiment with my own mixture of spices. The result was a bit spicier than the original, but quite better I think.
I served it with Urid dhal (white lentils) and a needed cucumber raita: a vegetarian feast that was much needed after a long weekend.
Let’s check the updated recipe together!
Potato and garbanzo Curry Recipe
- 3 potatoes peeled and cut into small cubes
- 800 g canned chickpeas
- 800 g crushed tomatoes
- 1 large chopped onion
- 3 chopped garlic cloves
- 1 large green bell pepper cut into small cubes
- 1 chopped green chili (optional)
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp chopped ginger
- ½ tsp ground coriander seeds
- ½ tsp red hot chili powder
- 2 cardamoms
- 2 black peppercorns
- ½ tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp red vinegar
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- Heat the oil in a pot. Add onions and cook until soft, then add ginger and garlic and cook for a couple of minutes. Add the bell pepper and chopped chili pepper.
- Add the coriander, garam masala, red hot chili powder, cardamoms, black peppercorns and salt. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add drained chickpeas, vinegar, potato cubes and crushed tomatoes.
- Cook until potatoes are tender, about 40 minutes.
- Serve with a mint raita or cucumber raita.